Want to learn even more about miso? Here’s your step by step guide for making a delicious and healthy miso paste in your own home.What You’ll Need
1. Rinse soybeans well and soak them in water overnight.
2. Heat 4 cups water and soybeans in a large pot. When water boils, turn down the heat to medium.
3. Cook the soybeans approximately 6 hours, until you can mash them with your fingers. Make sure to keep adding water to keep the soybeans covered the entire time they cook.
4. Mash the soybeans while they are still hot. Do not throw away the water you used to cook the soybeans.
5. Mix rice koji and salt in a big bowl. Add cooked soybeans and ½ cup of the water you cooked the soybeans with. Mix well until smooth.
6. Put the mixture into a sanitized container. Press down on the mixture with your hands to remove air so that it is well packed.
7. Cover with plastic wrap to avoid contact with the air. Press with about 10 oz weight, and cover to avoid dust. Store away from direct sunlight.
8. After 1-2 weeks, turn over the miso by scooping some out and putting it into a different container. Just as in step 5, make sure to remove air.
9. Take a close look once every 10 days, and it will be ready to eat after 2-3 months of fermenting.